I personally love the idea of a 43 foot vertical. I use the Dx Engineering
Thunderbolt for 60 meters, it is 1.5 inches at the top. I collapse it down
to 33ft6in. Gives a fully resonant antenna on 40. Add a 17.5 foot wire with
outrigger (pvc supported on vert by hose clamp) and now you have 20meters.
Next run a wire with another set of out riggers up to the top and out 33
feet and you have 80 meters. Next wind 132 turns 18ga wire on 1.5in pvc and
add to the 80 wire end then add about 15 feet of wire and you have 160.

What you have when you get done is:

160 meter inverted L with a bit of compromise. but still workable on a city
lot.
80 meter inverted L no compromise with full size.
40 meter 1/4 wave full sized vertical
20 meter 1/4 wave full sized vertical
15 meter fully loads on 40
10 loads on 80

It works well for me. I live on a city lot and it plays great. I use a
receiving array for 80 and 160 with phasing and preamps. NCC1 Dx
engineering system.

Most 42 foot /43 foot verticals require 150 feet of coax to balance out the
loss/swr to hook you in to thinking that you have a great antenna. But most
any antenna is better than no antenna. And, if all you have is a 43 foot
vertical, use it. Enjoy it. There is a qrp op on CWOPS that all he has is a
43 ft vertical. He does great with it but also he can walk out his back
door and pee in the ocean, so that is really not a fair comparison due to
the salt water and the magic it gives.

Vy 73,

Morgan NJ8M