Kev,

While full failure analysis is a nice thing to do, it often takes significant lab equipment to fully analyze the failure point - and increases the time to repair (and cost to the customer). With dense SMD boards, the problem of failure analysis is compounded exponentially. It is not feasible in all cases to give a 'cause and effect' analysis. The best the technician can do in a reasonable amount of time is to venture a WAG (wild a** guess).

73,
Don W3FPR