Martin,

Not sure if I can explain this adequately or not, but here goes.

When you have a mismatch at the antenna - and you always will with 300 ohm twin lead - there is energy reflected from the ant/feedline junction. That energy is returned along the feedline to the transmitter/tuner. It must then be re-reflected back toward the antenna.

When properly tuned, the tuner's impedance is such that the re-reflection occurs on the ant side of the tuner and no reflected energy is observed between the tuner and transmitter.

But, when the tuner is mis-tuned, the energy goes through the tuner on to the TX, where part of it is re-reflected back toward the ant. When this happens, both the forward and reflected power will indicate as increasing, because they are.

By tuning properly the reflected energy is never admitted between the tuner and the TX and is completely re-reflected at the ant side of the tuner, so the SWR meter indicates zero reflected energy.

This means that the optimum point of tuning is when both the forward and reflected power are at minimum.

hth

73 de dave
ab9ca

Martin Gillen wrote:

So I am left confused.  Why did the SWR go up if the forward power
also went up?