There are a couple different things to consider here:

- syntonization and synchronization  of the oscillator for the TX/RX synth

- syntonization and synchronization of the oscillator driving the real time
clock (i.e. counter)

- setting of the real time clock

My understanding is that the external reference to the K3/K3S  is only used
to FLL the oscillator for the RX/TX synthesizer.    PLL is not used because
of phase noise concerns.   So you get syntonization (frequency) but not
synchronization (phase).

I haven't looked at the RTC schematic, but my strong guess is that it has
its own crystal that is free running, even with the external ref.

-ch
de AI6KG