I think this topic is a little over the edge.

Do ALL radios have clocks, even?? My 1950's HQ100C had a clock which was option C in the model number. It was an electric clock. Do I wish the K3 clock kept better time? Yes, but its not something I'm going to bother Elecraft about.

Accurate time is required for some digital modes but they run in a computer so that is where accurate time is needed. Several sources of atomic quality time are available from the Internet.

But if you are off the grid then some other time std is needed. GPS time is probably the answer. I bought a GPS with USB dongle for under $50 dollars which there is software to update the computer time.

Now a utility on my computer with access to accurate time that could be downloaded to my K3 once per day or once per week would be nice. It could elicit the K3 Utility program to connect and update the K3 clock, automatically. No change to the K3 clock hardware would be needed.

I assume this not rocket science for all you computer whizzes. I'm not suggesting Elecraft take this on - somebody else. Surely the K3 utility is not that hard a nut to crack?

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
    "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business: