I will add to the conversation with a direct story relating to radio
grounds, in this case it was a sail boat...  At one time I spent much of
my life Surveying boats, another survey friend asked me to look at his
sailboat as he could not keep zinc's on the boat they would last about a
month..  An arriving throwing a silver anode over the side (in salt
water) showed about 1.75 volts between the water and his ground. So that
is why the zinc's were plating off of the boat.

All grounds on the boat lead to a grounding plate at the foot of the
mast (42 foot).  As I was disconnecting each ground wire on the
grounding plate, suddenly the ground went away, and Lee said "the VHF
radio went dead", it was on as he was listening to the weather.

So what had happened..  This was a case where the radio was wired
directly to the battery, with fuses in both the positive and negative
leads.  The fuse in the negative lead was indeed blown (unknown
reason).  The ground path to the radio was up the coax shield to the
masthead antenna, this antenna was DC grounded flowed then down the mast
to the ground plate.

This connection raised the ground potential in reference to all other
grounds 1.75 volts..  and was the cause of all of the problems.
Properly grounding the radio ground to the ground plate permanently
resolved the issue..

This was a case of small currents (radio in receive), however should a
starter have been involved as Tom (W8JI) explains the currents would
have been great and could easily have caused a fire.

My point is where ground connections are made can have consequences..
Regards.. Fred

--
Fred Moore
email: f...@fmeco.com