Ed,

Yes, eliminate the fuse in the negative wire and ground it to the chassis near the point where the battery negative is grounded.

Consider that the radio will also be grounded by the connection of the coax shield to the chassis. If the negative power lead is fused and that fuse opens, current can still flow to the radio, but by a very circuitous path and that is not 'goodness' .

73,
Don W3FPR