Esteemed Fellow E-crafters...

One useful technique often employed here at the MJF Radio Labs to remove solder from those pesky little holes is to snip off a chunk of desoldering braid(6-10 mm or so) and position it on the hole with a pair of tweezers, hemostats, etc. Then, using a hot iron( I use a small 800 F conical tip in the WTCPT for about everything on circuit boards) press the braid into the hole a bit and quickly turn the board UPSIDE DOWN while holding the braid snugly against the hole with the iron. Hold it there for a moment. A puff of smoke from the flux in the braid often indicates things are "flowing" well. I then remove the iron and braid while the board is still inverted. Yes, you probably think that sounds clumsy, but I do it all the time...it just takes a practice run or two to develop your technique. Often it helps to add a bit of solder to the hole to bring the solder up to the top of the hole so you can obtain sufficient contact for the heat transfer. This is what I usually do if there are just a couple of holes to open up.

As far as desoldering irons go... have two: A $75 Weller with a bulb and a Radio Shack, also a bulb type that cost less than $20. Guess which one works the best? Yup...RS. Don't ask me why...their tips are quite similiar. Maybe the RS iron gets hotter...

         Mike N0MF
Mo. Valley, IA