Jim,

Go ahead and update your K3 with the latest level firmware!
K3 Utility has the capability to interrogate your K3 and determine which modules are to be loaded. Yes, there are K3S unique firmware modules, but K3 Utility sorts all that out so you get the latest for your K3 configuration. The firmware is "backwards compatible" - the K3 is not obsolete nor "old school". Elecraft would not remove firmware upgrade support without notice - consider that the legacy gear is still being supported - the K2, K1, and KX1 - that is witness to the Elecraft support for all customers, new or old. The first K2s were produced in 1998 and are still going strong and even those first K2s are capable of being upgraded with mod kits to be equal to the latest K2 being shipped (with some minor exceptions). I think this is an example of the kind of support you will receive from Elecraft in the future.

73,
Don W3FPR