From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Don
Wilhelm
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2016 1:08 PM
To: EA2BD <ea...@yahoo.com>; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KX3 temporary high SWR on PTT with external
Amplifier

Ignacio,

The amplifier is not switching to the transmit state within the time between
when the KX3 pulls PTT low and the time RF appears. I believe that time is
about 8 milliseconds.
Yes, your KX3 is working into an open load when that happens - hence the
high SWR.
That condition is known as "hot switching", and even if it does not
eventually damage the KX3 PA, the relay contacts in your amplifier T/R
changover will become pitted due to the arcing.

One solution is to modify your amplifier with a QSK T/R switch or substitute
fast vacuum relays.
Another solution is not to use QSK or VOX - connect a footswitch to the
KX3 PTT *input* (ACC2 jack's TIP connection) and set the ACC2 IO menu to
LO=PTT if the footswitch grounds the connection.
Then use the footswitch to put the KX3 into transmit before you operate the
paddles or speak into the microphone.  In other words, do not turn on VOX.
Another way to put the KX3 into transmit mode without the footswitch is to
use the XMIT button on the KX3.

73,
Don W3FPR

delivered to k9...@live.com