Ted,
        Firstly as others have said “do not give up”

        I too use professionally (for testing) Oracles excellent VirtualBox -
it is decent VM which for home use will allow you to try almost any OS you wish
to dabble in.
        VMWares’s products are also excellent - but are generally tailored for
commercial/large scale VM applications.
        There are others KVM, MVS, Hyper-V etc

        Do not stress about hypervisor 1 or 2 - You will use a level 2
hypervisor - just accept that and carry on forwards.

        The only caveat with home VM’s are these
                a)      You are always running 2 machines - you have the
physical machine which requires resources such as CPU, memory and disk - plus
you have the VM which also needs the same. So you need to make sure you balance
the load between the two.
                b)      If you “host” i.e. the machine where the VM software is
installed can not see the device on a USB etc because there is no driver etc -
then you will not be able to utilize this device inside the VM software.
                c)      You often get what is termed ‘VM-bloat’ as you create a
machine to run a skimmer, then another for Product-X - oh and another for
product-Y  - so keep an eye on your disk utilization - I used a separate 1Tb
drive just to handle the 30+ VM’s I use !!

        So what have you got to loose - except a little disk space and time

        Best regards

                Tim - A45WG