I have always done the same thing with signals at the noise floor, or below.
The biggest change I've noticed by doing this is the band noise is much more
attenuated through the headphones lying on the table and the signal one is
trying to copy jumps out in the clear since band noise is attenuated.

73 Gene N9TF