It also depends on the line loss per unit length. A high-loss feedline will be more forgiving as measured, but less energy is transferred to the load. If a line is very low-loss per length, you can tune out the reactance or mismatch (by transformation or direct compensation) without losing much energy. High loss feedline just burns up the energy in the feedline and the load can't radiate very much. In this case, a good SWR "match" won't help get a lot of signal on the air. This is one reason that source-end SWR isn't a good measure of radiation efficiency (not considering the actual antenna). I can get 1:1 on a good 50 ohm load, just like anyone else, and no one can hear my 1kW transmitter.

The SWR varies along the length of all feedlines, but at low SWRs it doesn't make much difference on energy transferred from source to the load. In most cases 2:1 is perfectly acceptable to the transmitter's protection circuitry.

Vic is also correct about diodes; their I-V curve is nonlinear. Ar low power levels, this can matter a lot on precision of the SWR measurement.

73,

matt W6NIA