All the antennas you say you use are E-field antennas, they couple to the E-component of the EM wave [which includes your horizontal loop]. Mag loops couple to the H-component. Away from the antenna [far-field], the EM-wave has both E and H components orthogonal to each other, and it doesn't matter how the wave was launched.

Antenna efficiency is complex. E-field antennas are strongly affected by surroundings, imbalance, and the like because objects in their environment have varying conductivities which contributes to their inefficiencies. Mag loops are mostly insensitive to surroundings because most of the objects [including me sitting under my Alexloop] exhibit a permeability of 1.0 or very close [ferromagnetic metal buildings, towers, and railroad tracks excepted].

The radiation resistance of most E-field antennas that hams use is fairly high compared to the loss resistance in the wires. Radiation resistance for mag loops is very low, usually measured in the milliohm range, and in the general range of the loss resistance in the loop conductor. Thus, loop resistance is a major factor in efficiency or the lack of it.

In QRP field settings, my Alexloop [H-field] regularly outperforms the E-field Buddipole I had in all the configurations I tried for the BP. The resonant loop has a very high Q and suffers from very narrow bandwidth [4-10 KHz depending on the band] and must be very carefully adjusted after each QSY. On balance, my loop is quieter than the end-fed I also use outside and it has a pronounced null orthogonal to the loop plane which can be useful. The KAT2 takes care of matching the end-fed, it's bypassed for the loop and tuning is critical.

As always, life is a series of trade-offs. I have not found any correlation between the solar cycle and antenna choice. [:-)

You mentioned a KXPA100: Beware, mag loops exhibit some surprisingly high voltages and circulating currents, even at 10-15 W. There's a nifty calculator at

www.66pacific.com/calculators/small_tx_loop_calc.aspx

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Sparks NV DM09dn