Ian,
At P49Y, I also like to use SLP=0 for pileups, because then one can "ride" the RF Gain control to try to differentiate signals within a pileup. On the other hand, for casual operation, it is easier on your ears to use higher values of SLP in order to make the volume of signals more constant. This also works better in a contest for the second radio if it is used for S&P on another band.
73, andy ae6y p49y

-----Original Message----- From: Cady, Fred
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 3:19 PM
To: glcazz...@alice.it ; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] great article on AGC by Fred Cady

Hi Ian,

Most of my operating has been contesting and dealing with pileups. I want to have the most discrimination or differences between different strength signals in the pile up. And it would also like the radio to be as linear as possible. So I would normally use a high threshold and SLP=0 (oddly, that is the steepest slope) so that loud signals sound loud and weak signals weak. On the other hand, for rag chewing in a you might want all signals to sound pretty much alike. Then choosing a low thr and slope=15 will flatten out the signals.

Don has some great ideas on setting AGC in his article, especially regarding noise. It is easy to hear (and see) if you have the THR set too low and noise is activating the AGC. Tune to a noisy band and then start cranking THR down. When you get too low you can easily hear the noise level decrease. If you set up the dBV measurement you can actually measure the reduction in audio level.

73,

Fred KE7X