I had the KPA500 PIN diode problem in 2015, and it started on one band only. And it did not happen all the time. After a while it became worse and more bands were affected. So based on my experience with my KPA500 #1497, I suggested the PIN diode problem as a possiblity.

I wonder what the serial number is of the KPA500 we are talking about, and whether it is produced before or after a change in the design(?). Anyway, when I presented this problem (how it presented itself on my KPA500) in the group and to elecraft support, I never got the right answer. After basic faultfinding I found that the PIN diode circuit was causing the strange behaviour of the linear and then... presto... there was a elecraft-mod that I never heard of before. It contained a few new switching components and some capactiors for one of the LP-filters.

After putting those in, problem was solved. My K3 line and me lived happy ever after :-).

73

Arie PA3A