Agreed. It's a workaround, not a fix.

On 11/26/16 6:38 PM, Bill Johnson wrote:
That is usually a technique for determining a board or component issue.
Been around a long time.  You have a component issue.  Good luck.  Me, I
would send it to the factory for troubleshooting.

73,
Bill
K9YEQ

-----Original Message-----
From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Andrew
Siegel
Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2016 3:49 PM
To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] [K3] Workaround for FPF Firmware Load Failure: Cool it
down in the fridge first

My K3 (s/n 6000+) has developed the FPF Load failure problem: the K3 Utility
times out after a few minutes when trying to update the FPF firmware,
leaving "FPF Load" showing on the K3 display, and leaving the
K3 unusable.

This happens on Windows, Mac, and Linux, using three different high-quality
USB-to-serial adapters: Keyspan USA-19HS, Tripp Lite U209-000-R, and
Plugable PL2303-DB9. I can upgrade the MCU and DSP firmware without a
problem. The FPF load fails regardless of the version of the K3 utility I
use, the version of MCU or DSP firmware already installed on the K3, or the
version of FPF firmware that I am attempting to install.

In a panic after seeing the FPF load failure just before this past Field
Day, I came up with a workaround that has worked twice now:

==> Put the K3 in the fridge for an hour or two before doing the FPF
firmware upgrade.

On my K3, the FPF load fails when the front panel temperature is even at my
relatively low house temperature of 19C (as displayed on the front panel).
The longer the K3 has been powered up, the warmer the FP gets, and the less
time it takes for an FPF firmware load to fail. When I activate View->Trace
in the K3 Utility and watch the serial interaction under these conditions, I
observe that the rig starts taking longer and longer to acknowledge packets
sent, until finally it stops ACKing completely, at which point the utility
gives up.

When I refrigerate the K3, the reported FP temperature drops to 9C, and the
FPF firmware load works reliably. There are no dropped ACKs.

Your mileage may vary; refrigerate your K3 at your own risk, and definitely
do not freeze it.

73,
Andy, N2CN

delivered to k9...@live.com