Fred,

First, keep resistance readings made with an analog ohmmeter far away from
IC devices.  The voltages used can turn on (saturate) circuits and not only
cause incorrect/misleading readings, but in some cases could damage solid
state devices.  Even the inexpensive DMMs will provide good readings for
you, and these range from the less than $10 DMMs from places like Harbor
Freight Tools to expensive models - the inexpensive models are much slower
to settle the reading and often have limited ranges, but they are adequate
for the basic tasks.

Your questions on device bases (how the pins are numbered) can be best
answered by referring you to basing diagrams.  While ICs follow a standard
convention, transistors vary in their basing designation.  Look at the first
sheet of the schematics in Appendix B of the K2 manual to see the basing
diagrams for devices used in the K2.

73,
Don W3FPR