I've used a  couple different non-Elecraft Heil headsets with my K2.  I use the
standard Heil Proset Plus which has both the HC4 & HC5 elements as well as the
BM-5 (I think that is the model, single earpiece with an HC5 element I think).
The only thing I did to the K2 was modify one resistor, R14 on the KSB2, from
1k to 10k, to get extra gain.  I've gotten great signal reports from other
stations while I use SSB, however I use much more CW with the K2 than SSB.  You
should be able to keep your existing Heil headset rather than spending more
money for the Elecraft version.

Mark, NK8Q
K2 4786