I seem not to have made myself very clear. Let's leave the amp (both the AL-80A and the KPS500 out of consideration - I can deal with those later. My question is - can one use a _E850463 Aux cable_ to transfer band, frequency etc. information directly from the K3 to the KAT500, with no amplifier involved? I know one can make use of the RCA cables to control the keying, and the amplifier will detect frequency, presumably from anything down to a Heath AT-1 (if anyone remembers what that was.) This is not the question. When controlled through the Aux cable, there are a number of useful functions available (along with keying control) which I would expect might be available if the Aux cable connected the K3 and the KAT3 directly.

The KAT500 manual pussy-foots around this issue - there are hints that it might work, but no definitive statement.

Has anyone tried this method? With what results? Dick's response seems to indicate that it won't work.

George, W3HBM

On 12/17/2016) 1:20 PM, Dick Dievendorff wrote:
Should be fine.

Use a cable with RCA plugs to connect the K3's KEY OUT connector to one of
the KAT500's PTT RELAY connectors, and another RCA cable the other KAT500
PTT RELAY connector to the amplifier KEY IN.    This allows the KAT500 to
interrupt the PA key line during tuning.

When you move to a KPA500, add an additional 15-pin ACC cable from KAT500 to
amp, and don't use the RCA cables, as the key lines are incorporated in the
15-pin cables.

73 de Dick, K6KR

-----Original Message-----
From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of George
Kidder
Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2016 08:09
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] KAT500 without KPA500

I am considering purchase of the KAT500 to use with my K3 and an old AL-80A,
with a view to future expansion to the KPA500.  Is there any reason why an
Auxbus cable direct from the K3 to the KAT500 would not provide the
necessary band and frequency information?

George, W3HBM

delivered to d...@elecraft.com