Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 17:34:59 -0500

From: "Gary Smith" <g...@ka1j.com>

To: j...@audiosystemsgroup.com

Cc: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net

Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3s - 80W on 160 - Resolved

Hi Jim & the others who replied,

This is a follow-up for someone in the

future who looks for the same solution.

Yeah, the small amount of difference in

the wattage is insignificant but

considering all the radios I've owned, the

low end of the bands were always the

highest output. 10M was usually the lowest

output & with the K3/K3s, 6M was always as

good as the other bands watt wise and 160

was full output. This not being the case,

I was concerned.

I had done the calibration and raised the

output to 87W but that was it. As was

suggested, I raised the voltage from the

PS to give me 13.8V on transmit which

required 14.6V resting. I'm using the

cable Elecraft supplies and I'm suspecting

it could be just a tad lower gauge/thicker

copper to reduce the resistance but on

160M, I am now getting a 115W reading on

the P3 and 113W on the LP-100A.

So the increased voltage was the

difference in my case. A thicker wire

would certainly require less voltage than

14.6 and that's what I am going to look

into. With the power Pole connector, I'll

have to look a little deeper into what

will work best. I have no crimping tool

for Power Pole so that makes it more of a

challenge.

Anyway, thanks Jim & all who suggested the

higher voltage, it was the answer in this

instance.

73,

Gary

KA1J