I have a minor issue with my KX3 that has me scratching my head. Because of
occasional background noise (XYL and two young boys) I seldom use VOX when on
those rare occasions I venture to the SSB part of the bands. I’m using an
inexpensive headset with a boom mic and there is no PTT switch on this unit.
With VOX turned off, I know I can push the XMIT button on the KX3 to put the
radio into transmit mode, and that works fine. But, I’d like to be able to lean
back in my desk chair and carry on a conversation w/o having to lean forward to
push that XMIT button every time I want to talk.  I thought there was a way to
do this via a home brew PTT switch, connected across the tip and sleeve of the
ACC2 plug. In fact, I thought that at one time long ago I WAS able to do this.
But no longer.

So, I tried another way - I connected the Elecraft-supplied RCA-RCA cable to
the female RCA jack on the KX3-KXPA100 Adapter Cable and connected the shield
and center conductor. Doesn’t seem to put the rig into “full” transmit mode.
What happens is that the received signals on that frequency drop quite a bit in
amplitude, almost to inaudible, but the red TX light on the KX3 does not light
up.

I’m guessing that I’ve accidentally changed something in the config settings,
but I sure can’t determine what I did.

Any ideas here?

Jim Bennett
Folsom, CA