Fred K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County

On 12/28/2016 3:43 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
While the efficiency as a radiator of a half wave end fed wire is relatively
unaffected by the "ground" return, some sort of "ground" is needed to keep
the whole rig from floating up to the RF potential at the end of the
antenna. Often a hunk of wire roughly 1/4 wave long thrown on the ground is
adequate.

I too have had excellent results with them.

73 Ron AC7AC

-----Original Message-----
From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Fred
Jensen
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2016 12:57 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Small QRP antenna

The Summits On The Air crowd, at least one of whom "runs" up mountains, has
had very good luck with end-fed half-waves.  The transformer weighs next to
nothing, and the rest is just wire. Requires no counterpoise, very ground
insensitive since it's fed at a voltage node.  Also because of that, you
need no coax, just an adapter between rig and transformer.
The higher you can get the middle [current node] the better, but it will
work very well with just about any elevation on the far end.

For 40, it's about 67 ft of wire, and is a full-wave on 20 and will work
well there.  My KX1, when I still had it, had no problem finding a match.
My HOA-Stealth here at home is an 80-10 EFHW strung about 6 ft high along
the top of a wooden fence.  Works surprisingly well.

Fred K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County

--Northern California Contest Club