Ray,

I also live in a deed restricted community. I ran coax and DC power through
the wall of my den. Once outside, I ran it underground to the back wall of
the house. At the peak of the roof in the back, I mounted an SG-237
Smarttuner. I then took 300 feet of enameled wire and ran it around the
perimeter of my roof. This created a 300 foot horizontal loop. It's around 2
WL long at 40 meters so the radiation pattern is not shooting straight up on
40 meters and above. It's a 1 story house so it's not very high up. The wire
is pushed up under the shingles as much as possible. It's VERY hard to
notice the antenna. I'm in Florida so a snowy roof is not going to happen.
I'm not sure about rain since we are in the dry season here and I can't
remember the last time in rained. I'll know better this spring/fall.

How does it work? I've worked France, Bulgaria, Italy, Estonia, Ascension
Island among others with my K2 just on PSK31 so far (I know, I need to work
on my rusty CW skills). About 20 different countries in the last month (I've
only had it in operation since 2/13/06). I had a ragchew with F6FZG last
Saturday like he was next door. I'm more than pleased with its operation and
the fact that it's practically invisible. The Smarttuner keeps the antenna
in tune automatically. There are certainly much better antennas, but this
one works great considering the restrictions. YMMV I'm sure.

Kevin
N8IQ/4