Excellent Terry.  Just Excellent.

-Steve-
AF5VR

Message: 28
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 22:06:04 -0700 (MST)
From: Terry <n...@comcast.net>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] All the Amplifier Discussions

As I have been reading the various threads on Amplifiers over the past few
days, I am struck by the incredible variety of topics and activities that
bring all of us joy in Amateur Radio.  For some of us, it is the ability to
make contacts with very little power.  For others, just running a standard
100 watts and trying to earn DXCC etc. or other awards, is a great
challenge.

For others, getting every bit of legal power output as possible, or
discussing what 1-3 dbs. means in making that contact is very important
whereas, someone else might say, "Who cares?"  We all get enjoyment from the
hobby in so many ways.

The maximum power I have ever used was 100 watts.  With a good yagi, there
was never a station if I heard it, I could not work it.  I might have not
been able to bury everyone with a kilowatt signal and be heard first, but it
is really an amazing thing to be in the fray with the big boys and through
timing of the call and other tricks learned over the years, get someone to
come back to me.

I was exclusively an SSB operator for 24 years, then took 9 years off from
the hobby then came back as a CW operator.  It was quite a challenge to get
my speed back after so many years of viewing CW as a means to get up to
Extra, instead of a mode of conversation that I could really enjoy.

After all these years, What I have discovered is not whether I can squeeze
out all the power possible, or have the greatest antennas, or all the
greatest rigs, (Although my K2, KX3, PX3, and KXPA100 are absolutely the
best rigs I have ever owned....thanks Elecraft!) or spent time on this group
arguing the minute details of some technical question, even though many get
a great deal of enjoyment doing that.

What I have discovered is it is the relationships we make on the air with
our fellow hams.  It is that human connection across the miles, whether it
be several miles on 160, or around the world on 10, it is the great memories
of all the interesting hams I have met on the air, both on SSB, Digital, or
CW that really make Amateur Radio special.

We are all very fortunate to have such a great hobby to enjoy...and to
always remember it is a hobby, and that family always comes first, yet have
great experiences along the way.

When I became a ham at 34 years old, I thought about how ham radio would be
with me throughout my life and as I got older and had more time, it would be
wonderful to have the hobby. Now that I am 68 years old, I still don't seem
to have enough time, but ham radio is a wonderful hobby to enjoy.  One of my
realizations is that even though I have enjoyed several sunspot cycle
maximums over the years,  if I am lucky, I will get to enjoy only one more
in my lifetime.  Life passes so quickly.  Enjoying every day in the
wonderful hobby is such a blessing, and I know that many of us share those
thoughts.

Very 73's,

Terry, N7TB