Hams have been complaining about appliance operators at least since I got into ham radio in 1968 and probably a long time before that. In the early days of radio, you *had* to build your own station because ready-built equipment was not available (unless you were one of the 1% and could pay someone to do it for you).

In those days, you could build something close to state-or-the-art on your kitchen table. But building a spark transmitter or a 2-tube MOPA rig was far simpler than building a state-of-the-art multi-band synthesized radio would be today.

I think you can make a good argument that the little projects that hams do build today - for example some Arduino gizmo with a dozen parts - is of similar complexity to the all-homebrew stations of old.

Alan N1AL