On 13/01/17 02:06, elecraft-requ...@mailman.qth.net wrote:
> The physical RTS line is moved from the computer to the output of
> the USB UART (in the K3).  However, there is still a physical RTS
> line.  The set RTS/DTR/Break and clear RTS/DTR/Break commands are
> much more robust than sending serial data via USB.

To do that, you are still sending data over the USB link.  Not the same
data, but data none the less.

So, any RF ingress into the USB systems (at either end of the cable!)
Can still cause trouble.

Note, clip-on ferrite cores have very little effect at MF/HF
frequencies, unless you can wrap several turns of the USB cable through
them.  And even then, it depends on what the exact problem is where and
how the RF get's in.

I often wonder why we don't use fibre optic links for rig control and
audio.  TosLink cable and devices are available for the audio, and it's
relatively trivial to send (RS232 like) data down a fibre too.

I'll get my coat...

73.

Dave G0WBX.