Not an alternate definition, but we have to recognize that just any old random length won't work.

If the wire is near 1/2 wavelength on a band, the impedance at the end will be very high, and the tuner may not be able to match it.

In truth, we're really talking about non-resonant antennas, so numbers like 53' keep coming up.

It was easier before 60m and 30m and 17m and 12m because all of the ham bands were harmonically related, and the math was simpler.

73 -- Lynn