On Mon,2/6/2017 11:21 AM, John Sager via Elecraft wrote:
I am using the Buddipole 4S2P 5Ah battery (fairly expensive at $165 when
compared to others like Bioenno, etc.)

Wildly expensive is the right word. :)

along with the Genasun MPPT controller ($99)

The Genesun controllers are excellent, and they are almost totally RF quiet, far more so than other controllers. You might hear it very weakly on some bands if the cable between your panel and the battery is very close to your antenna. Good practice is to use twisted pair for that cable and wind 10 turns around a #31 toroid.

Note that Genesun makes a family of controllers, each dedicated to a type of battery. There's one for lead-acid, another for LiFePO4, and another for Li-Ion. It's pretty important that you use the one designed for your battery type.

73, Jim K9YC

with my 35 watt portable solar panel.  The whole system runs my KX3 all day at 10 watts
even when the sun doesn't cooperate fully.  Highly recommended. I tried other solar
controllers that didn't work as well as the Genasun.  As someone else said recently
"buy nice or buy twice."Hope that helps.