Stan,
If you refer to the KX2 Block Diagram (Page 62 of my manual) you will see that the PH (headphone) takeoff is a low level and the SPKR(speaker) output has an additional amplifier associated with it. I think Wayne did this to minimize the current drain when using headphones, while providing usable speaker volume for fixed/station powered use. Plugging a resonant speaker without an amplifier into the headphone jack will result in the low volume that you are seeing.

At least that's the way I understand the design. If you want viable, fixed KX2 operation, use a follow-on amplifier with the resonant speaker.

73,
Brian, K0DTJ