David, (caution, long explanation)

I am not certain how the "Black Box TL115A" achieves a splitter function, but if it does not have smarts to allow only one RS-232 device at a time to transmit, it will not work properly.
Similarly, a simple "Y" splitter will not work.

To answer the "why" of the problem - look at the RS-232 switching levels. The driver level for a logic 1 (mark) is at a negative voltage while a logic 0 (space) is a positive voltage. The actual voltage can range from +3 to +15 volts for a logic 0 and -15 to -3 volts for a logic 1.

Imagine what happens if one device tries to send a logic 0 while the other device tries to send a logic 1. The voltages will "fight" with one another and the result will be garbage.

For a "Black Box" to work properly, it must act as a 'traffic cop' to allow only one device to transmit data at a time. That means the 'traffic cop' must control the DTR and CTS control lines - and that the two devices must honor those control lines to indicate when to send.

The Elecraft KXPA100 only connects the TXD and RXD signals, which means it cannot honor the DTR and CTS control signals. Your ATU may be similar. In other words, there is no 'handshaking' to tell which device can transmit data.

For purposes of the KXPA100 (and KX3 and PX3), neither your device nor a splitter will function correctly.

The only device that will work on a single RS-232 port with the KXPA100 (or other gear) is the SteppIR controller or other gear that can be configured to only listen to the data between the KXPA100 and the PC (it never transmits data). In that case, a simple "Y" cable will suffice, no more complex "traffic cop" device is needed.

You did not say what ATU you are trying to connect, so I can't say how it applies to this situation. If it only listens to the data (either has no driver on the DE-9 pin 2 signal [RXD] or disables that driver), then it will work with a "Y" splitter cable, but otherwise it will conflict with data sent from the KXPA100 to the PC.

73,
Don W3FPR