From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Joe
Stone (KF5WBO)
Sent: 16 February 2017 17:26
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Mouse-n-Click QSY

When I see Elecraft dodge a trivial firmware change like this year after
year, I can't help but wonder if they have ulterior motives.  Maybe Elecraft
plans to introduce a $250 wired remote control knob.  Maybe they hope
someday the knob will control the P3 / PX3.  Maybe they feel adding a few
lines of firmware to enable a $5 wireless mouse will impact the sales of
their $250 knob.  Maybe they're just busy.  When they don't respond to a
feature request, it leaves us guessing.

This brings me back to my previous thread.  We need a more structured
approach to tracking Elecraft feature requests (and bugs).  We need a record
of when Mouse-n-Click QSY was first proposed.  Elecraft can come back and
say, "The P3 / PX3 is out of firmware memory space."  Or, "The P3 / PX3
doesn't have the MIPS to sample IQ, process the 1024-point FFT, update the
displays (spectrum and waterfall), field remote-control commands, . AND
position a marker based on the delta-X field in a mouse HID descriptor".
This disposition will be captured along with the feature request in a
central repository for everyone to see, now and forever.   In another month
or two when someone requests Mouse-n-Click QSY, we can simply refer them to
the (now closed) feature request.  Ideally, they'd search the feature / bug
list first.

Clearly, Elecraft isn't interested in maintaining / exposing a list of
features and defects raised by their user community.  I've received several
offers from members willing to host this list.  We should have something up
and running in a few weeks.

Joe
KF5WBO

Message delivered to turnb...@net1.ie