I was involved in product testing in my former career.
One large computing machine which I worked on had a backup battery consisting of 4 AA cells, which no-one thought would be a problem, but during environmental testing at shipping extremes, condensation formed and created leakage paths. It was a hard sell to convince management and many engineers that AA cells could cause a problem.

The following action was to do extensive testing in the power systems lab in which several destructive tests were performed, which included shorting the battery pack terminals.

It is amazing how much current those "lowly" AA cells can produce in a shorted situation. Under short conditions, they are just as powerful as any other battery, but the duration of the huge current discharge is shorter than for larger batteries.

Lesson I learned is to be careful with any battery. High density battery chemistries make the short circuit discharge duration longer and can cause more damage.

73,
Don W3FPR