The lead-acid K2 battery is heavy and can corrode when its life is over, and is
ancient.  I just removed my K2 battery, and when I use it portable I am going
to power it with a tiny KX2 battery, or a bigger 4S2P pack.
When I built my K2, I didn't use the Elecraft trickle charger.  I ran the
battery out to a separate jack on the back panel, and plugged in a smart
charger made for small SLA batteries.  You could build a KX2 battery into the
K2 and do the same thing, charging it with the Elecraft charger.
Just an idea.
Using an external battery pack might be easier, given the now monstrous size of
the K2 compared to a battery pack or KX2.  How far Elecraft have brought us in
20 years. Twenty years before the K2 was the HW-8.
73 Eric WD6DBM

Sent on my Samsung Galaxy S® 6.