On 2/21/2017 6:21 AM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:

> Why is it that no manufacturer has created a field replaceable front end
> protection scheme?  Many of us are using multiple radios or in Multiop
> situations.  Stuff happens.

This has been discussed at length in the SDR groups.

Upon many recommendations, I invested in a DX Engineering DXE-RG-5000
Receiver Guard to protect my SDR (SDRPlay 2).  It is a small box with
BNC input and output connectors.   It is rated for 500 kHz - 150 MHz and
clamps the received signal to 0 dBm, well within the specs of any modern
receiver front end.

Note, however, that it cannot pass any transmit-level RF and there are
copious warnings to not transmit through the device.  It requires either
a separate receive antenna, a separate T/R controlled antenna switch, or
a rig that has RX-ANT-IN an RX-ANT-OUT capability.  The instruction
manual has many diagrams covering each of those situations.

(I am not associated with DX Engineering, just a satisfied customer.)

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402

>From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon