I experienced the mush as well and then rode the RF gain.

The problem is due to AGC reacting way too fast when in FAST. It seems that
higher HLD should solve the issue but it does not. I am wondering whether
HLD is applicable to AGC SLOW only? If so, the other choice is to reprogram
AGC SLOW, as K2AV does. Perhaps it completely solves the problem, as Guys
writes that he uses the fast AGC only during QRN.

I am not sure whether AGC is mode specific as AGC slow needs to be really
slower for SSB and casual operation. If AGC is not mode specific, this means
reprogramming AGC SLOW before and after every contest.

Ignacy, NO9E