I have worn out vacuum relays in qsk amps too (replaced only one time in my 12
year-old Alpha 99).  In fact, qsk with vacuum relays is not really qsk in that
a vacuum relay is not as fast and silent as what I experienced using Alpha 89,
which had switching diodes in it. Alpha 89 to me is the only qsk amp I have
used (at ny4a).  You could, in fact, hear been characters at 30 wpm.

I was disappointed when I purchased my first vacuum relay amp, Alpha 99.  Alpha
99 was defined as qsk but it didn't switch like an Alpha 89.  Seems silly now
but since Alpha 99 was defined as "qsk" I expected it to behavior like Alpha
89.

I even looked around for awhile for an Alpha 89, but then learn how easy it is
to blow the diodes in Alpha 89--many owners replaced those expensive diodes,
once blown, with vacuum relays.  So, I just decided to run "almost qsk"
compared to Alpha 89.

73, Will, wj9b

CWops #1085
CWA Advisor levels II and III