There is some conflation of two quite different concepts going on here.

The first thing you need to know about an AGC response graph is the speed
that the incoming signal was varied to produce the curve. In many cases,
the input signal was steady state from a signal generator, set to a list of
input levels, observing output levels, both recorded in Excel, and the
resultant data pairs used to create a graph line. In this case the input
variation speed is zero. This is a static analysis.

If the input signal was **amplitude**-swept at audio rates, and together
with the output signal, used to provide the X, Y values to drive an
oscilloscope, then you have a dynamic analysis.

At this point it is good to make a note of what test equipment you are
familiar with that will provide an **amplitude**-swept, steady frequency
signal.

Inferences from a static AGC analysis and AGC induced IMD are apples and
oranges.

The second thing that bears heavily is the attack and decay speeds.

Attack speeds are usually quick. If the attack and decay are **BOTH**
quick, and that actual attack/decay is at an audio rate, then there is a
case for distortion, because the variable gain can actually work at an
audio rate.

The question is whether the attack/decay cycle can continuously recur
because the decay goes down as fast as the attack goes up, then intermod is
indeed possible on a grand scale. However if the decay effectively holds
the AGC gain level at a point set by the attack, delaying even as little as
100 milliseconds, then the AGC cannot create audio distortion products
except very short low frequency distortion products only at AGC attacks.

Since well before the significant AGC changes in firmware 4.7x (or whatever
that one was), I have been running my slow AGC (CONFIG: AGC-S) at maximum
fast, and my fast AGC (CONFIG: AGC-F) at maximum slow. In retrospect, that
was probably why I never heard the stuff that a lot of people were
complaining about.

In contests I always use my max fast setting slow AGC, and back off the RF
gain when I have primarily very loud signals in pile-ups to get the signals
out of hardware AGC range, which has zero intelligent tweaks available.

[And yes I have just about guaranteed pile-ups in contests with for-credit
USA to USA QSO's, because of RBN spots which pick up everyone. Those are
"spotting pile-ups" and assisted or unlimited class folks using point and
click on the band map or control characters to move to the next unworked
station.]

My exception to using max fast setting slow AGC is when I'm trying to copy
through lightning static, and need to hear weaker stations down in between
the crashes. Then I use my max slow setting fast AGC.

To summarize, in order for AGC to create audio distortion products strictly
from the AGC, the AGC must be responding at an audio rate. Frankly, why
would anyone want to set it that way escapes me.

To Wayne, I would like to be able to set a minimum hold for fast AGC as
well. That with a fast decay, would be better than what we have.

Decay rate is something left over from analog days, when the way you
decayed AGC was letting a capacitor discharge.

73, Guy K2AV