Well, this morning I got a chance to put the K3S on the bench.  Thanks to
some info from Lyle KK7P and Bob N6TV as to how things were wired up I was
prepared to trace this and that... O'scope was ready...

Turned out to be a loose wire where the internal speaker lead connects to
the speaker lugs.  I was all wrapped around the axle on CONFIG settings and
worried that a multi-pin connector might not have been seated properly...
turned out to be a simple problem.  The solder lug on the speaker itself
looks to be well soldered, but there is what looks like a crimp in that
conductor just a bit upstream.  My bet is there is a break in the wire
inside the insulator there.

For now, some electrical tape is holding the wire tight against the speaker
so it can't move around.  I'll email support and request a replacement.
Thanks for the info, fellows!

73 de Chuck, WS1L