Jeff, if it's brand new, then I wouldn't fret about the baud rate.  I
bought a used station (KX3/PX3/KXPA100) and discovered that the
communication baud rate with the amp in the station was 9600; and the baud
rate standalone was 38400.   It took a couple macro commands from the
helpful folks here on the reflector to fix it but it sounds like your
problem, transient though it is, lies elsewhere.

--
73 (or 72 for the QRP folks),
Rich Hurd / WC3T