Paul: There seem to be two distinct USB-serial chipsets, FTDI and Prolific. Others [like Keyspan] appear to use the Prolific [most of the time]. Three older Prolific models are not supported in Windows 10 and will give "Error 10" when plugged in. Prolific has also had problems with counterfeit chipsets from "you know where." Many of these do not implement the entire standard and people have had problems with them and drivers, beyond the Win 10 issue.

You can purchase a guaranteed FTDI adapter cable from Elecraft, I just did and it works fine. You can also find them on Amazon, however I decided against those since their provenance is not really clear.

BEWARE: The DE-9 on the back of the K2 is *NOT* a regular RS-232 serial port. Three of the pins [RXD, TXD, GND] conform to RS-232 standards, the remainder are internal K2 signals for the 100W ATU. Elecraft sells an adapter cable that passes just the three signals, or you can easily make your own. Plugging the USB-Serial adapter directly into the K2 will likely damage the radio.

73,

Fred ("Skip") K6DGW
Sparks NV USA
Washoe County DM09dn