The K3 is the only transceiver I've used with this facility. Monitor level is saved per mode. I have SSB = 4, CW = 10 and Data = 5. I never notice any monitor audio on SSB, neither do I particularly feel the need and could just as well turn it off. Sidetone on telephones was an attempt to stop folks shouting. Maybe a lack of it is why you can hear the one sided conversations of folks talking on mobiles from across the street.

For me CW monitor is for sidetone and Data monitor is just a gentle background burble to indicate all seems to be working.

The house is pretty quiet and at nearly 69y my hearing is OK not having been exposed regularly to damaging noise levels. I usually use CM500 phones anyway with CONFIG AF GAIN = LO and the AF gain pot seldom above 9 o'clock.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO