The XG3 has a calibrated output into a 50ohm load and can be varied over a wide
range of power and frequency.  How can I use this as a standard source for
field strength measurements?

For instance, could I build passive networks to match a whip to the XG3 on each
band of interest and calculate the radiation from the whip knowing its input
from the network?  Since the XG3 output is variable, the loss in the networks
can be adjusted to suit.

Could I use, say a *standard* 1m copper wire whip (ie <<1wavelength on HF) to
easily obtain uV/m? It could all be mounted in a biscuit tin as I once saw in a
magazine many years ago.  Connecting a similar whip to the K3 with its
calibrated dBm facility, I'm hoping this could all connect together in a modest
home facility for experimentation and learning.

David
G3UNA