The very best station on Sirius/XM really destroys the beautiful melodious
 sounds and overtones coming from the banjo.  It gives it a watery metal
sound. However that does not stop me from listening to it. It is really all
about the content. That's why I can enjoy bluegrass on my iphone or XM
radio. Nothing coming close to listening live music when you are surrounded
by other pickers. So you do not have to bother with finding the perfect
speaker or stereo. They can never reproduce what you hear live. Same thing
with radio. It is all about the content. This is one reason we enjoy CW so
much. The tone sounds like you are in presence of the sending cw operator
coming out of our receivers. It only has to reproduce one tone, it's fairly
narrow and it sounds live.  Jim K9YC I am sure you have good term for this.
I don't know what the phenomena is called. Maybe if the speaker was shaped
like a banjo that would be a good place to start to reproduce its sound
however, then you need another one shaped like a dobro and so on. Not
really practical.

73,   Dan KM6CQ

*Don't sacrifice your hobby for the right house.*

I occasionally car pool to ham events with a neighbor in his high end
VW. He bought the satellite service, and we sometimes listen to it. It
drops out with foliage and under overpasses. Sound quality is so bad
that it's hard to listen to any form of acoustic music. Perhaps too much
data compression, made worse by any problems with the signal path.

73, Jim K9YC