Thanks, Josh. I wasn't aware of this relatively new development, which is a very positive thing.

73, Jim K9YC

On Tue,4/25/2017 4:01 PM, Josh Fiden wrote:
That may not be true for the KPA1500. It's pretty common now, especially in higher power switchers, to include power factor correction (PFC). Instead of only charging bulk caps at AC peaks when rectifiers are forward biased, the rectified incoming line hits a boost converter which smooths out the cap charging rate.

For example, the Meanwell RSP-3000 48V 62A supply, includes PFC and claims power factor > 0.95. Without PFC, might be PF=0.6 and certainly operate as you describe with high current peaks, big IR drop & I2R power losses.