From: Don Wilhelm [mailto:donw...@embarqmail.com]
Sent: 26 April 2017 22:51
To: Denis Jackson; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K2 Distorted receive audio and low power output

Denis,

Do you have the KDSP2 installed in your K2?  If so, check the DSP NR.
If it is on, it can cause distortion.  It does an effective job of reducing
noise, but does introduce some distortion - and may appear intermittent
depending on the signals and their level.

If no KDSP2, then check the soldering in the PLL Reference area as well as the
BFO area.  Marginal solder connections may have been OK in the past, but can
fail after time.  Check the schematic for components in those areas and re-flow
the soldering.

You can also do the Receive Signal Tracing as indicated in the manual.
You may have to connect a strong signal generator as described in the
Troubleshooting section of the manual.  An XG1 or XG2 will not provide a strong
enough signal (the XG3 will), so construct the oscillator shown in the
troubleshooting section of the manual.

The power output problem may or may not be related.  The best way to find the
offending stage is to do Transmit Signal Tracing as described in the
Troubleshooting manual appendix.  When you get to a stage which produces less
than the expected values, that is the output of the failing stage, and you can
investigate that particular stage for the problem.  Re-flowing the soldering
may correct it.
Component failure is not the most common cause of failure (soldering is), so do
not jump to conclusions about a component being bad - exception is if one of
the PA transistors has been damaged.  If you find everything up to the PA
transistor bases OK, then replacement of the PA transistors with the K2PAKIT
from Elecraft may be in order.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 4/26/2017 5:19 PM, Denis Jackson wrote:
> My K2 hasn't been used for a few years but, with the intention of
> taking it out for a bit of SOTA work, I powered it up today.  Alas, I have a
> problem.
>
> The receive audio is intermittently distorted on all modes.  With a
> constant carrier, it sounds like there is a warble to the note.  There
> is another problem in that it has is that the RF power output is only
> about 6 watts (it's the 15W version) and that seems constant on all
> bands.  I don't think these two problems are related because the power
> is always low regardless of whether the audio is distorted or not but
> thought it worth mentioning nonetheless

---