From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of David
Woolley
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2017 8:17 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] [KPA1500] Input Power

Using a pad would be bad design, as simply increasing the level of
negative feedback would help reduce distortion.  The only way one could
achieve a repeatable gain close to 15dB would be with negative feedback.

Moreover, I assume it is an FCC condition that modification by the end
not be easy.  You can assume that CB users wanting to use illegal powers
have access to soldering irons.

Also, I would assume that the design gain is actually less than 15dB, to
allow for component tolerances.

--
David Woolley K2 06123

On 12/05/17 02:43, Dr. William J. Schmidt wrote:
> All of those popular devices have gain more than 15 dB... so there is a
pad in the amp to keep the gain at 15 dB. One would think that a "tweak"
will evolve to modify the pad (and possibly the firmware) to eliminate this
bothersome limit.

Message delivered to b...@wjschmidt.com