Dave,

You still may want to check that cable - or perhaps the soundcard has a high noise floor.
When the audio stops, the KX3 should drop out of transmit when using VOX.
Of course, I don't know what happens if VOX and PTT are asserted together.
Cables are always one of the high failure items in any system.

73,
Don W3FPR