Thank you to all who offered suggestions, all of which helped me solve this nagging problem.

I bought a 33' tape measure from Harbor Freight.  I scrapped off the paint at the end, drilled a 3/16" hole and put a bolt, a couple of washers and a two nuts on it.  Then I cut a 5' piece of wire and attached one end to the tape measure and the other end to the black BNC terminal on the KX1.

I did not fiddle around with the 25 foot radiator.

I laid the tape measure right on the grass.

By adjusting the tape measure - now I knew exactly how much counterpoise was being deployed and it was infinitely adjustable - I was able to get 1:1 SWRs on 40, 30 and 20 meters.

I found that 31 feet on the tape measure + the 5 foot connecting wire worked best as a single compromise counterpoise length for all three bands -- with this 36 foot length I got 1:1 on 40M, 1.3 on 30M and 1.2 on 20M.

73, Stan WB2LQF