Headphones and Field Day have been yoked since time immemorial. The K3's ability to output its audio into both headphones and speakers simultaneously has been a boon to those FD sites that encourage visitors. It permits the operator/logger to use headphones while visitors can monitor the action through speakers. The problem lies in the volume levels that each of the participants require (or don't require). This is especially true when multiple transceivers are occupying the same tent/trailer/room, etc., and each have their own group of listeners. Cacophony is not the goal here.

As veteran Field-Day clubs have discovered over the years, a valuable accessory is a multi-outlet headphone-amplifier with individual volume controls for each headphone. For several years we have used a Behringer Amp800 (https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-AMP800-Four-Channel-Headphone/dp/B000KU87SM) at our CW position. Lately, we have also been using a Rolls HA43 (http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=HA43) which is smaller and easier to operate. Neither are bothered by stray RF.

I have no vested interest in either. There are similar products under various brand-names. The Behringer can be had for around $70 and the Rolls for $50 from numerous online vendors. The Behringer only accepts 1/4-inch phono plugs while the Rolls has dual input jacks to accept both 1/4-inch phono and 1/8th-inch plugs. This is another reason I like the Rolls as no "tweenies" (adapters) are needed.

Uses might include . . .

A neophyte with an unconnected laptop, wearing his own headphones, entering call signs/exchanges into a practice logging program without disturbing the main operator. Or the next shift warming-up before assuming the operator's position. Or someone merely wanting to seriously listen for a while without being bothered by the inevitable traipsing in-and-out of visitors, kibitzers, the lost, the lonely, the huddled masses yearning to be free.

Both of the above units accommodate up to four headphones.

73,

Kent Trimble, K9ZTV
Mid-MO Amateur Radio Club
Jefferson City, MO